Sunday 29 December 2013

The world is round

           Make 2014 the happiest, healthiest year yet. If you have ever tried to lose weight or just improve your overall health and well being and feel like you've failed again and again,maybe it's not you. Maybe it's what your doing. What if what your doing does'nt work? What if you're being given the wrong information? Suppose what you are being told to do is wrong? It does'nt work.
           Never has,never will. I'm here to tell you today the earth is round. Get what i'm saying. They're telling you the world is flat. I'm telling you the world is round. Think about it.
Stay Focused

Saturday 21 December 2013

Protein:the forgotten food

             Most people associate protein with bodybuilding or building big muscles. Nothing could be further from the truth. As you will learn, protein is essential for a strong and healthy body.    Volumes have been written about protein. I am going to make this complicated subject as easy to understand as possible. The protein you eat is broken down into molecules called amino acids. There are 24 amino acids. 16 of these are called non-essential, meaning that your body can produce them. The remaining 8 are called essential, meaning that you must get them from external sources. In less than 6 months, every protein molecule in your body is broken down and rebuilt. Foods that contain all 8 essential amino acids are called complete proteins. Foods that are low or lack one or more of the 6 essential amino acids are incomplete protein. All 8 essential amino acids must be present and in proper proportion for full protein synthesis to occur. If just one is missing or low, protein synthesis will drop or stop altogether. Hormones which control your growth, sexual development and your metabolic rate are constructed from protein. Protein is necessary for the creation of enzymes that are necessary for basic life functions and anti-bodies that fight off foreign substances in the body.
            Protein is also necessary for the formation of milk during lactation. Severe protein loss occurs as a result of particular bodily stress such as surgery, wounds, prolonged illness or even exercise. If your protein intake is too low, you can expect the following:

(i) poor tissue development
(ii) mental depression
(iii) tiredness
(iv) weakness
(v) lowered resistance to disease and infection
(vi) slow healing of injuries and recovery from exercise

              Too much protein can create its own set of problems. Excessive protein intake can create carbamide (also known as urea) which is highly toxic. Urea is also responsible for a form of arthritis known as gout. Regardless of whether you're trying to lose body fat or add a little muscle, if your protein intake is inadequate, you're fighting a losing battle.

Friday 20 December 2013

Dont do these exercises Part 2

Dumbbell flyes
Remember that gravity always pulls straight down.Because of that this exercise puts an extreme amount of tension on your biceps and your shoulders.Dumbbell flys takes the biceps and the shoulders deep into their point of "insertion" and this is always a high risk movement. Add to that,it causes very little chest activation, its just not worth the risk. Your much better off doing cable flyes or the pec dec.

Lying leg press
This exercise is very popular because it allows you to load up a ton of weight and give the appearance of being incredibly strong. The leg press is an extremely dangerous exercise for your back. As your knee's come down to your chest , your back begins to round out or flatten. It will actually bubble out. At that point the lower part of your spine ,the lumbar vertebra's, begin to separate and pull apart. This is never a good thing. Also, because your hips don't lower you use very little hamstrings. I recommend giving this one a miss.

Squats with plates under your heel's
People put little plates under their heels for one of two reasons. 1.lack of ankle flexibility or 2.they believe it hits the quadriceps harder. Lets deal with number 1 first. You would be much better off improving the range of motion in your ankles first. This way there would no need to use the plates. Number 2. There is no evidence that squatting this way recruits more quad muscles. Here are the problems with using plates under your heels. The biggest and most serious problem is that it cause a sheering on your knee cap and your ACL in the knee joint. This over time can lead to serious knee problems. In some cases ,surgery. If you look closely, there is a small gap between the plate and the balls of the foot. What this means is the centre part of the foot has virtually no support.

Helicopter twist or rotary torso twist
I'm sure we have seen somebody with a bar or broom stick across their back twisting from side to side. Your disk's and your spine are not designed to twist. It will,but its not made for that. The disk in your spine and the vertebrae that make up your spine are designed to compress. Like a tire. Let me add. It does not work your stomach and it will not get rid of your lovehandles.

There you have it. I hope this has helped you in some way. My final reccomendation to you is to avoid all of the exercise's i have discussed.
Stay Focused

Thursday 12 December 2013

Dont do these exercises!

Upright Rows
The problem with this exercise is in the positioning of your arms.This position creates what is called an "internal rotation". Every time you raise the weight a small tendon in your shoulder gets pinched(known as impingement) by the bones in the shoulder.Over time the tendon will gradually become worn down and damaged. It's not a matter of if it will eventually wear out but when.  

Behind the neck shoulder press or behind the neck lat pull down
These are the two that will wreck your shoulders. This time it's the "external rotation"that will cause the damage. With your elbows or hands behind your ears the rotator cuff can no longer stabilise the shoulder joint. This action will cause the joint itself to "grind" every time you do a rep. Over time this can cause serious damage to your shoulders.Never do any type of exercise where you need to place your hands or your elbows, what i call the high five position, behind your ears.

The bent knee sit up
Walk into any gym and you will see people lying on their back,knee's bent, doing dozens of sit ups. This type of action causes the hip flexor's to pull directly on your spine creating a tremendous amount of strain on your lower back. This exercise will certainly make any bad back worse or create a back problem.

Next week I'll tell you why ,dumbbell flyes can damage your shoulders. The leg press can do some serious damage to your back and why you never, ever want to do "Helicopter twist or Torso rotators".

Stay Focused

Thursday 5 December 2013

Birth control causes weight gain

Studies confirm this connection,but there are ways to minimise this common side effect. Both shots and oral contraceptives have been linked to weight gain. High levels of oestrogen affects the kidneys and stimulates a hormone system called renin-angioten.Specifically when the oral contraceptive contains more than 20mcg of oestrogen.

The newer types of oral contraceptives also affect insulin resistance. This causes the body to use less sugar during exercise and allows the blood sugar to be stored as fat. This type of contraceptive is also an appetite stimulant.Your constantly fighting off cravings,which also increase's your stress levels,resulting in higher levels of cortisol. Cortisol is known as the "belly fat hormone".

There are things you can do to help prevent this from happening. Talk to your GP about using a contraceptive with less than 20mcg or use an IUD. Another option is to try an oral contraceptive that is progesterone based.However,side effects of this type of birth control can often be mood swings or physical changes just before menstruation each month.Alcohol and smoking also effects birth control and weight gain dramatically.

Most women start birth control to help with uncontrolled or heavy bleeding,endometriosis,cramping or acne.Weight control has to be taken into stride with the other concerns that any female is faced with. Please remember that your form of birth control is a drug.All prescriptions should be discussed with your GP or your gynaecologist.

Of course the best way to minimise weight gain from birth control is to eat sensibly and get in some form or regular exercise.

There is nothing more difficult than losing wieght

Losing weight is the single hardest thing that a person can do. More difficult that giving up tobacco, alcohol or drugs. Think about that . You don’t need to smoke , drink or do drugs. You do need to eat. The very thing that is contributing to the problem you must continue to do three or four times a day! The National Weight Control Registry states that if you need to lose two stone or more you have a 1% chance of accomplishing this by exercise alone, 10% chance by dieting alone or an 89% chance if you combine exercise and dieting together.

If you throw into the mix all of the misinformation and in some cases out right lies, is it really any wonder as to why as a nation we are losing the battle of the bulge? The fact is losing fat is hard.If it were easy then everybody would be doing it. But there is a right way and a wrong way.

That’s where a Professional Personal Trainer (PPT) can makes all the difference. If you have made the decision that its time to get the weight off and keep it off then get yourself a Professional Personal Trainer. To learn more about what to look for in PPT and how to go about hiring a PPT, click on usefull info and read "Hiring a personal trainer".

Success Fitness Training

Professional Personal Fitness Trainer