item1

Tuesday 14 March 2017

Burpees or Squat Thrust's. Why?


If you have read any of my blogs, you know I have certain exercises I can’t stand. I am always trying to educate people why you should not be doing them and that they are totally useless. Well I just found another one. The burbee or squat thrust.
 
The burpee, or squat thrust, is a full body exercise used in strength training and as anaerobic exercise. The basic movement is performed in four steps and known as a "four-count burpee"   

Every time I see a burpee, I just ask myself “why?”. When we think about the idea of "Start With Why".    

Don't you just look at a burpee and think “why?”.   

Don't you just watch people do burpees and ask why?  

I know I do. Wrist impact, shoulder impact, lumbar flexion. A million opportunities for bad mechanics with what upside? It's hard? Is that upside?  

When you do them or program them, ask yourself a simple question. Why? Why is this exercise in my program?  

Then try to find me a really good reason. I'm going to bet you can't.  

Then ask, what are we getting from the burpee? Back to tired again?  

It's my job to choose exercises that are effective. It's also my job to keep my clients and you healthy.  

If you look at an exercise and see injury risk and then can't really explain why you do it, that makes it a really bad choice.  

Don’t train hard. Train smart !

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

item2
item5
item8
item11
item14
item17

Success Fitness Training

Professional Personal Fitness Trainer

BOOK A CONFIDENTIAL MEETING 07816 642 730